Sparrow Health System
Positions Location: Ionia, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Follow established procedures, obtains, processes and distributes blood and urine specimens for clinical laboratory analysis (pre-analytical). Performs CLIA waived laboratory testing according to established procedures.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Verifies patient identity and performs venipunctures, blood cultures, drug screen collection and micro techniques accurately and efficiently following established procedures, including proper labeling of specimens.
- Operates computers to verify collections, order tests, create specimen tracking lists, collection lists and retrieve data.
- Operate centrifuges, process samples for testing on site and at reference laboratories and related duties according to established procedures.
- Performs waived testing such as a macroscopic urinalysis according to established procedures.
- Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and physician needs. Works independently and as part of a team to meet laboratory objectives and goals.
- Restocks and orders all necessary supplies in order to maintain established stock levels.
- Responsible for answering telephone calls for the laboratory including patient result status, physician office inquiries, specimen collection requirements and communicate additional information as needed.
- Understands basic patient insurance information, diagnoses and billing processes.
- Performs additional duties at the direction of the Laboratory Manager or professional staff.
|General Requirements||Certification in Phlebotomy preferred|
|Work Experience||Experience performing phlebotomies on all age groups on an inpatient and outpatient basis preferred |
In lieu of education, at least 1year of experience as a Phlebotomist.
|Education||High School Diploma or GED |
Successful completion of a Phlebotomy program, including externship. In lieu of education, at least 1year of experience as a Phlebotomist.
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills||Demonstrated knowledge of basic phlebotomy as related to laboratory testing performed. |
A basic knowledge of clinical specimens suitability for testing.
Basic telephone, computer and clerical skills.
Ability to interact with patients, clients and others served by the laboratory as a positive role model.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: